Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 2 - African Safari....

It's 12 PM on Friday 19th, 2009 and we have just come back from the A&C Super market in East Legon in Accra...stocked ourselves with water, a power adapter and we are awaiting our first meeting with our colleagues....Carolyn is expected at 12:10 PM....

Just found out from the reception that Carolyn has arrived and has checked in...spoke to herand decided we would meet up at around 7 in the evening for dinner....

Walked down in search of the Golden Oyester Sea Food restaurant and saw directions but could not find them....so took the best alternative and took a local "rocking" taxi for 2 Cedis to a newly opened Chinese restaurant called "The Palace".... The Palace reminds me of the Chinese restaurants that you get in the Eastern part of India ..... to be precise the ones in Tangra, Kolkata....

We had a great meal and this is the first time after Perth , 07 that I am tasting Chinese food made the Indian style or rather the Bombaiyaa style....even the taste is the same...After a hearty lunch, me & Prasad walked down to hotel a good half an hour walk in the hot sun ....I think if i do this every day...I have a chance to reduce the mountain which always seems to build around my tummy....:?;-))

While doing blogs etc, I listened to AR Rehman's music in Delhi 6 and listening to the home country music in a foreign land truly gives u a great feeling...way to go ARR...also listened to this wonderful rendition of " Blowing in the wind" by Stevie Wonder for Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary of singing.....

Me and Prasad watched 2 movies, one the Hollywood adaptation of the hit game Eidos made called "The Hitman" and another historical movie about the crusades and Jerusalem called " Kingdom of Heaven"....Hitman was an outright masala action movie...pure entertainment of the rough kind and the second one was much more softer....

It almost 6:30 PM and I will go and catch a quick shower and be ready for dinner at 7...Our rooms are quite nice and cozy at the Elking Hotel and I am reading Nandan Nilekani's "Imagining India".....

We had dinner together Carolyn, Prasad and myself and we sort of discovered each other and our cultures....The food was also exotic.....I had Jollof which is like Thai fried rice and Grilled chicken with brown sauce....Carolyn tried Banku and grilled Tilapia fish....Banku is made from Yam's and Cassava and is a really heavy dish....It's typically had with hand and is mixed with dips like tomato salsa and pepper sauce....Interesting food...and hopefully healthy....

It's almost 9 PM and we meet Volker....Volker had a great experience because he could not find the hotel shuttle and finally came to the hotel with the help of some locals (in exchange for a little tip....of course)....Volker is German in the true sense , He is tall 1.98 m and is a great guy....While chatting up with Volker...Tasha walked in and we exchanged pleasantries and chatted a bit before winding down for the night....

I am reading the preamble of Nandan Nilekani's book and I have a eerie feeling because I actually had to encounter many of these challenges as I was growing up especially the challenges of opportunity and education.......

I hope to get some sleep tonight as hopefully I will not be as jet lagged as yesterday....Ciao for now Good Night.....

2 comments:

Mahmood said...

Hi Anand! you are doing a noble work. Wish you all the best.
http://www.thedynamicnature.com

Bhavana said...

Hey Andy!
You sure are a great writer-in-the-making! :) Wonderful idea to blog all the happenigs. Kudos to you and your work. Wish you all the best. Be safe and enjoy. BTW, I HAVE to tell you this... I attended a two-day National Meet on Save the Bengal Tiger chaired by Bittu Sehgal, Belinda Wright and other experts. Of course, I was just a mute spectator...but goood fun.